THE 'HANDS-ON' ED ORTHOPEDICS COURSE
Winner of the 2011 College of Family Physicians of Canada's ‘Continuing Professional Development Award’ for providing an 'exceptional learning experience’
CASTED: EMERGENCY – 2 DAY COURSE
When: April 29 & 30, 2017
Where: North York General Hospital
Time: 08:00 – 17:00(approximately) Registration begins at 07:30
FEES (HST not included)
$1345-RNs, NPs Physician Assistants, Other
$1195-Residents (limited spots available)
Fees include all meals and course materials.
CASTED: is the 'hands-on' ED orthopedics course specifically designed for ED physicians and staff.
CASTED: Emergency offers numerous clinical pearls on
- history, physical and investigations
- making more accurate diagnoses
- recognizing ‘red flag’ patients
- knowing who needs a reduction
- understanding who needs to see ortho and when
- reduction and moulding techniques for numerous fractures and dislocations
Case-based lectures are combined with 'hands-on' casting and splinting. The lectures focus on cases that are:
- commonly missed
- and commonly mismanaged
The case-based lectures also help you understand ED orthopedic principles. Knowing what questions to ask, what to look for on exam and how to order and interpret x-rays will help you on your next shift. You will develop better management plans for your patients.
CASTED: Emergency will give you a more complete handle on ED immobilization options, which injuries are operative, which fractures are low-risk, which need moulding, how quickly ortho needs to see in follow-up, etc.
The 'hands-on' components begin with demonstrations of ED ortho reductions and immobilization techniques. Then, as you put on casts and splints, CASTED faculty supervise closely and offer instruction on the proper application and moulding techniques. The lectures will help you understand when to reduce and why moulding may be needed. The 'hands-on' sessions give you the practical side. Knowing 'how to' is helpful; but the supervised practice ensures you have the confidence you are doing it right!
By the end of the course, we want you to better understand ED ortho, not just memorize what to do. You are promised a course full of humour and numerous clinical pearls you will use on your next shift!
CASTED: Emergency The 2-day course will, as expected, have more cases and more time for 'hands-on' practice and demonstration. Click for a typical course outline of our 2-day Emergency courses.
Comments from registrants include:
- "Spectacularly practical course with multiple tips applicable to my daily practice starting tomorrow. Your course was one of the few I've ever taken that was chock full of practical, practice changing details. You've created a new gold standard for excellent CME."-Dr. Mike Betzner, MD, FRCPC
- "CASTED was more relevant to my training than all my months of ortho training combined." -Dr. David Ng, MD, CCFP(EM)
- "CASTED has restored my faith in CME." -Dr. Joshua Tepper, MD, CCFP
- "Great, practical points that are useable immediately on my next shift. Possibly the best CME course I have taken." Dr. Ryan Deedo, MD, FRCPC
CASTED limits the number of participants per day to allow for more direct supervision and interaction. CASTED promises you two days full of humour and numerous clinical pearls that you will use on your next shift!
CASTED is presented by Dr. Arun Sayal, an emergency physician who also runs a weekly Minor Fracture Clinic at North York General Hospital in Toronto. Since 2008, almost 250 courses have been presented across the country. CASTED has won local and national medical education awards including the College of Family Physicians of Canada’s 2011 Continuing Professional Development Award for ‘providing an exceptional learning experience’.